[Mailman-Users] Permissions problems

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 5 22:11:01 CET 2009

Melinda Gilmore wrote:

>Mark,  thanks for the info that did work for that particular error.  But I
>keep getting this one, and the number at the end changes.   So I have to
>keep adding a file.

The problem appears to be with the creation of (in this case)
'/usr/local/mailman/lists/sis_directors/config.pck.tmp.lists.19678'

Is there some type of numbering system for
>config.pck.tmp, is this related to a cron job
>
>IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
>'/usr/local/mailman/lists/sis_directors/config.pck.tmp.lists.19678'

The number is the PIP of the process that's trying to update the
config.pck.

config.pck files are not updated directly since if they were, a failure
during the update could leave the file corrupt. They are updated as
follows:

A file is created named config.pck.tmp.host.pid where host is the name
of the host on which the process is running and pid is the process id
of the process. This file is written with the updated data. Then,
config.pck.last is removed, config.pck is renamed to config.pck.last
and finally config.pck.tmp.host.pid is renamed to config.pck.

Thus, except during the update process itself, there are only
config.pck and config.pck.last files. If there are problems creating
config.pck.tmp.host.pid, either the ownership/permissions of the
superordinate directories is not correct or the process doing the
updating is not running in Mailman's group.