[Mailman-Users] Moving a List

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 5 01:34:30 CET 2009

Jeff Bernier wrote:

>Everything now seems ok with this moved list but for one thing. Messages will not archive. I can see the archive as it was before the move... but new messages will not go to the archive.
>
>If I try to rebuild the archive for this list with ./arch --wipe LISTNAME, and then check permissions with the ./check_perms command, I get the following result:
>
>directory permissions must be 02775: /private/var/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME
>directory permissions must be 02775: /private/var/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME/2009-February
>directory permissions must be 02775: /private/var/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME/2009-January
>directory permissions must be 02775: /private/var/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME/attachments
>directory permissions must be 02775: /private/var/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME/attachments/20090129
>directory permissions must be 02775: /private/var/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME/attachments/20090204
>directory permissions must be 02775: /private/var/mailman/archives/public/LISTNAME
>
>It then instruct me to re-run the check_perms command with the -f flag to fix. It seems to fix the permissions, but messages will still not archive. Ownership of the /private/LISTNAME folder reverts back to root as well.
>
>I'm completely stumped.

It could be a permissions issue on the
/private/var/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox directory or the
/private/var/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox
file. Check those by comparing to other lists. If this isn't the
answer, what's in Mailman's error log?

Also, be sure archiving is turned on for the list (Archiving
Options->archive on the admin web interface).