[Mailman-Users] Question on Digest E-mails

Gary Moore Gary.P.Moore at hofstra.edu
Tue Feb 3 20:35:34 CET 2009

Guys, thanks for all the help on this.  I am going to try another temporary workaround but I will work on this on my test mailing list (because I need to get the problem eventually resolved) and I will let you all know.

Gary

Gary Moore, CISSP
Assistant Dean for Information Systems
Hofstra University School of Law
Gary.P.Moore at hofstra.edu
(516) 463-6067

Grant Taylor wrote:

>Question:  If a message is passed as a message/rfc822 attachment, what
>happens to it's MIME sub-parts?  Are they filtered too?

Yes. Content filtering works recursively. If any content type part is
filtered, it is removed along with all its sub-parts. If a content
type part is not filtered, we recursively examine its sub-parts to see
if they should pe passed or filtered.

Thus, the intent of my

DEFAULT_PASS_MIME_TYPES = ['multipart',
                           'message/rfc822',
                           'text/plain']

is to accept only text/plain parts, but to accept them no matter how
deeply they may be nested in the original MIME structure. Content
filtering will leave higer level multipart/* and message/rfc822 parts
in the message, but only those which ultimately contain a text/plain
part.