[Mailman-Users] Moving a List

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Feb 3 19:48:43 CET 2009

You will note I said:

>To move a Mailman 2.1.x list from ones server to another running the
>same or later Mailman...

There is no problem moving a 2.1.5 config.pck file to a 2.1.9
installation. Mailman will detect that the list config is 'old' and do
the appropriate conversion the first time the list is accessed.

This is also true with moving 2.0.x and even older lists, but there are
some caveats because the file is config.db rather than config.pck.
Basically, if you first create the list on the new host and then move
the config.pck, it will still work, but if you try that with a
config.db, it won't. When you move the config.db, you also have to
remove any existing config.pck or the config.db won't be seen. Then
after the config.db is converted to a new config.pck, the config.db
should be removed.