[Mailman-Users] Replying to digests

Clare Redstone clare at catspaw.plus.com
Wed Dec 30 13:37:58 CET 2009

Thanks again for your help.

1.
>>Test 1. "Subject" is the actual rogue post. I can use reply or
>>forward, edit the message and address it to the list. I changed
>>options to send in plain text, wrote approved: password at the top of
>>the body and, just below that, changed the line "To: testlist at ..." to

>The Approved: <password> here may or may not be needed. It is only to
ensure that the resent message doesn't get held a second time. If you edit
out the things that caused it to be held, you don't need the Approved:
<password>.   <

I just checked what was happening again. Even with "approved: password" at
the beginning of the message I forwarded, MM filtered on the taboo word
("digest") in the subject. So if I want to edit a message body, I need to
edit the subject too. Which isn't a problem as that's one of the things I'd
be changing in any case.

Approving by replying to the "confirm" email with approved: password accepts
the taboo word.

An oddity but not a problem.

2. Thanks for the suggestion to drag the message into drafts. Unfortunately
it only opens as an email to be read, not as an email I can edit. :(

But.. finally I worked out what to put in Google to find help and discovered
"Other actions - resend."

So, for anyone else wanting to do this in Outlook:
- MM is set to notify me of held messages.
- double click the attachment called the subject (that has the filtered word
"digest" in it.)
- "Other actions > resend"
- Edit subject (even with approved:pw in the body, MM won't let "digest"
through the filter) and body.
- Send.

And the message reaches the list, edited, but with the original sender as
"from."

I'm there!

Thanks for your help.

Clare