[Mailman-Users] Replying to digests

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Tue Dec 29 20:02:13 CET 2009

On 2009-12-29 1:43 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Tanstaafl wrote:
>> I don't recall where, but I have seen some digest lists that actually
>> have Reply/Forward 'links' for each message in the digest in the
>> included 'headers' of each individual message in the digest. Using these
>> links creates a reply identical to one that would be generated if the
>> message had been received individually.

> This sounds like something with a web based 'archive' that allows
> replying/forwarding via the web.

No, it was definitely in an HTML formatted digest list...

But now that I think about it, I may be mistaken about the resulting
reply being the same... ok, I just went and looked - it was Yahoo Group
Digest messages...

I really like the way these digests work. You can click on a message in
the summary at the top and it scrolls down to that message.

Then it has 'Reply to sender' and 'Reply to Group' links, as well as a
'Back to top' link at the bottom of each message which makes it easy to
get back to the summary if you are cherry picking which messages you
want to read - *very* useful for busy lists that have a lot of messages.

It does reply with the correct Subject when you use those links, but it
does *not* generate In-Reply-To headers, which is the only shortcoming I
can see.

>> Any chance of Mailman ever being able to do that? Or is that what you
>> are talking about with the MIME format digest?

> The MIME format digest does allow something like this if your MUA
> supports it, but I don't think it's what you're talking about.
>
> MM3 will have more flexibility to enable doing things like this. You
> may eventually see it in MM 3.

As one who does not hate HTML messages like some people do - especially
for things like this where the HTML code can provide extremely useful
behavior like this - I really do hope that Mailman can (will) be
extended with this kind of functionality some day.

--

Best regards,

Charles