[Mailman-Users] Mailman < > forum ?

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Fri Dec 25 02:19:27 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 11:43:29AM +1100, John Fitzsimons wrote:
> Okay, thanks. It appears that Joomla, and PHPBB, both need a database
> eg. MySQL. I don't suppose you know whether they could both reference
> the same database when setting things up for the above outcome ?

Joomla doesn't have native forums, from last time I looked. Joomla is
'just' a CMS.

http://www.kunena.com/ is apparently "Next Generation Native Joomla
Forum"; it's that wh(at|ich) is installed on a box I sysadmin for, but
didn't set-up.

I've got a vague knowledge of phpBB2, but I've not kept upto date.

However, with those caveats, one should be able to use the same
*database*, and Joomla/Kunena/Drupal/phpBB2 could all co-exist, in the
same database, just using different database table prefixes, e.g.,

resulting in something like
    db_foo.joomla_blah
    db_foo.joomla_users
    db_foo.kunena_forum
    db_foo.kunena_users
    db_foo.drupal_nodes
    db_foo.drupal_users
    db_foo.phpbb_users
    db_foo.phpbb_topics

There's an option to specify prefixes at install/configuration time.

I'd not advise having that sort of structure, it's just going to get
messy/putting all of one's eggs in the same basket, but it could be
considered an option.

--
``The government wants to bring an end to so-called vertical drinking.''
  (from the BBC's `Today in Parliament')