[Mailman-Users] Mailman < > forum ?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Dec 23 16:55:08 CET 2009

On Dec 23, 2009, at 5:50 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Barry Warsaw writes:
>> On Dec 22, 2009, at 7:47 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
>>
>>> Please - not to start a 'distro' war, but if work is going to be done, I
>>> hope it will be done in a modular fashion so that other forum software
>>> (with a plugin architecture) will be able to work with it.
>>
>> Absolutely, just like we support multiple MTAs, web servers, etc.
>
> Sounds non-trivial.  ISTM that this would conflict with pluggable
> archivers at least, and quite likely with other features of Mailman,
> since the functionality of Mailman, archivers, and forums all overlap
> substantially.

Mailman 3 is already more flexibly w.r.t. archivers, in the sense that we define an interface between Mailman and generic archiver, and then implement a number of modules to support everything from Pipermail to mail-archive.com to MHonArc.  We should take the same approach with forum integration.

-Barry