[Mailman-Users] NNTP server for "local" newsgroups ?

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Wed Dec 23 01:21:53 CET 2009

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 18:59:56 -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>On Dec 22, 2009, at 5:35 PM, John Fitzsimons wrote:

Hi Barry,

Thank you for explaining things more.

< snip >

>> As you appear to have already provided email to NNTP mirroring ability
>> eg. Gmane would your version 3 provide the install of an NNTP server
>> with the Mailman install ?

>Well, there's a lot to work out with respect to packaging, but the idea is that you could run a local NNTP server that people could connect to with their newsreaders.

One can run "a local NNTP server" now. That connects to Mailman. I
assume that you are meaning that if Twisted were installed then
Twisted, or will it be Mailman, would provide the server ?

Or are we not talking about an NNTP server at all ? Just a conversion
of protocols in some way ?

> It would work very much like Gmane (though we'd have to work out posting via NNTP issues).

< snip >

Okay, but I am assuming that Gmane has port 119 open. Many sites that
provide Mailman wouldn't have it open. How could that be overcome ?

Regards, John.