[Mailman-Users] NNTP server for "local" newsgroups ?

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Tue Dec 22 23:35:37 CET 2009

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 22:13:15 -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>On Dec 21, 2009, at 7:36 PM, John Fitzsimons wrote:

Hi Barry,

>> In another thread we were talking about Mailman to web forum
>> options. As Mailman can manage NNTP I wondered whether anyone
>> here had come across an NNTP server for "local" (not usenet)
>> newsgroups ?

>Yes.  I intend to explore using Twisted in Mailman 3 to provide NNTP
>and IMAP access to Mailman archives.

>-Barry

Would you mind explaining that a bit more please ? Would the end
user need to install Twisted first to get NNTP access to Mailman
archives ?

When you say "archives" do you mean "old posts" ? Or would this
provide the "live" NNTP < > email list mirroring that I am looking
for ?

As you appear to have already provided email to NNTP mirroring ability
eg. Gmane would your version 3 provide the install of an NNTP server
with the Mailman install ?

Sorry to ask so many dumb questions but I would really like to get a
better understanding of what you propose and whether it is likely to
give me the mirroring facilities I am after.

Bye the way, I don't know if the following helps, or not, but someone
who managed to get email < > web < > NNTP newsgroups working
said..

"you can also make some changes to the way your web server is set up
so that your users can access your newsgroups through the same URL as
your web site. There is no need to include unsightly port numbers in
the URL. This can also overcome problems of people not being able
to read your newsgroups because of their firewall settings.

< snip >

we use the Apache web server with the mod_proxy module. Similar
approaches are available with most other web servers. For IIS, you
will either need Microsoft Proxy Server, Microsoft Internet
Acceleration Server, or a third-party ISAPI module (such as
http://www.isapirewrite.com/) to have the same effect.

< snip >

For details on how to set this up on your own web server, see the
Apache mod_proxy documentation or the documentation for whatever web
server or proxy server you are using, and look for details on how to
set up a "reverse proxy".

Don't know whether that helps, or is relevant to the discussion.

Regards, John.