[Mailman-Users] Mailman < > forum ?

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Mon Dec 21 23:44:44 CET 2009

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 14:52:25 +0000, Adam McGreggor wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 06:49:44PM +1100, John Fitzsimons wrote:

Hi Adam,

>> Are there currently *any* web forum(s) that enable forum/mailman
>> mirroring ? In other words a Mailman email going to a web forum and
>> vica versa ?

< snip >

>The Wordpress thingy turns email -> database record(s), from which it
>ought to be moderately easy to map those fields to appropriate ones
>for the forum.

< snip >

Well, there are a few "issues" here. I am totally unfamiliar with how
Wordpress works, I wouldn't know how/where to map anything, I don't
have root access to the hosting site that has my Mailman install.

Those three items make things a bit difficult.  :-(

>I can't really think of a way to maintain an up-to date email thread
>in a forum, allowing posting to both; although, an afterthought may be

Well, it has been done a number of times. With a number of forums. The
trouble is that upgrading forums generally stops things working and/or
one needs root access to install. Something not everyone has.

Here is an example IF one wants to pay the huge cost of their
software..

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=151222

>to use NNTP for both... but that's quite perverse.

I would prefer to/from NNTP. Think I might start a new thread for
that.

>(Do forum softwares still support NNTP feeds, or does one need to use
>"RSS" or "XML" or one of those other new-fangled things to import
>content?)

>Others may have better 'solutions'.

Thanks for your comments.

Regards, John.