[Mailman-Users] 2 Emails

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Dec 21 23:40:00 CET 2009

Fitzpatrick, Ted wrote:

>Why do some subscribers receive 2 emails from the mailing list? 1 email from listname at ourdomain, and a duplicate message from listname-bounces at ourdomain ?

I am guessing you have General Options -> anonymous_list set to Yes -
otherwise at least one of these would be from the poster's address
instead of listname at ourdomain.

There are actually two parts to your question. The listname-bounces
address is set as the envelope sender of the message and also in the
Sender: header for automated bounce processing. See the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/RoA9> for more on this.

The duplication is almost certainly caused by filtering/filing rules in
the MUAs (mail clients) of the recipients of the duplicate messages.