[Mailman-Users] Error running bin/mailmanctl restart

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Thu Dec 17 21:39:04 CET 2009

I recognize some of my words in what Paul has quoted below so let me
comment. The discussion Paul is quoting from dealt with running Mailman on
Mac OS X CLIENT whereas Paul is dealing with Mac OS X SERVER. OS X Server
comes with a bastardized version of Mailman where as OS X Client has
nothing except a Mailman account (Why is the account already there? Who
knows!). The undocumented changes Apple has made have been talked about
much before and I thought with the conclusion that the Apple provided
version in Server is unsupported here due to the kind issues Paul is
having.

My suggestion would be to remove the Apple provided version of Mailman,
the install the official version from source. Once the Apple version is
gone, I see no reason that instructions for installing from scratch that
I've previously posted would not work. Heck, they might even work fine in
parallel with the Apple version (which obviously then should not be
allowed to run). I'm pretty sure, if I remember my own instructions
correctly, that I have Mailman self-contained within /Applications/mailman
except for the startup file in /Library/LaunchDaemons (which might need to
be given a slightly different name to avoid a conflict), the modifications
to the Apache configuration file, and the modifications to the Postfix
configuration file for the aliases (all of which should be preserved by
any Apple upgrades).

-- Larry Stone
    lstone19 at stonejongleux.com