[Mailman-Users] Error running bin/mailmanctl restart

Paul Kleeberg paul at FPEN.ORG
Thu Dec 17 20:21:35 CET 2009

I am ready to tear my hair out.

Thanks to Mark, I got mailman up and running except for one minor hitch.  In my log file I see an endless stream of:

	12/17/09 11:56:49 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.list.mailmanctl) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
	12/17/09 11:57:00 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.list.mailmanctl) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

Searching the archives, I found this (The thread starts at http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg53952.html):

> The only difference between my org.list.mailmanctl.plist and Apple's is my verb *start*, as opposed to Apple's *startf*. I'm baffled by *startf*, which is not supported by mailman and does nothing, either in the CLI or in org.list.mailmanctl.plist.

Further on down in the messages I read:

> I just caught that Bryan notes that he receives an "endless succession" of those messages where as I see one and that's it.
> Comparing our launchd .plist files, I see a few differences:
> Bryan:
>         <key>OnDemand</key>
>         <false/>
> Me:
>         <key>OnDemand</key>
>         <true/>
>         <key>RunAtLoad</key>
>         <true/>

So I made that change to /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.list.mailmanctl.plist.

Everything appeared to work fine, web interface works, creating a list works but qrunner does not to appear to start on bootup.  it appears that I now have to manually run:

  sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/mailmanctl start

to get mailman to start.  That concerns me.  I need to know how to get it to start on boot and how to restart itself if it dies.

When this is all done, I would be happy to summarize what I learned for http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030530.

Paul
--
Paul Kleeberg