[Mailman-Users] Searching across lists and making global changes

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Thu Dec 17 20:00:13 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:00:34PM -0500, Brian Luria wrote:
> Thanks

please don't
    (1) reply to list-posts off-list: send them to the list;
    (2) top-post

> The site is hosted so I dont have shell access. Only the admin interface
> etc. I presume that is of no use(?)

It doesn't look that way; although if the hosts will write a wrapper
to make clone_members/find_members available that may be a help.

I don't imagine you're the site-admin, either, for the lists.

That said, you might find the thread of which
    http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg41130.html
is a part, of interest.

I would suggest that, in the absence of these, you get the users to
bloody-well do their housekeeping themselves. Point them to the
options page, if necessary, pre-fill a URI with their email address,
so something like:
    http://lists.example.org/mailman/options/listfoo/foo@example.com
where they can change their name, and see which other lists that email
address is a member of.

People asking me -- as listadmin -- to change their subscriptions usually
get something like
    "mail me the request from both the old and new address so i know
     it's not nefarious, or visit
        <http://lists.example.org/help#swapsub>
     for instructions on how to do it yourself."

That said, I'm grumpy, and miserable, and believe people should take
responsibility for themselves.

--
``Democracy means that if the doorbell rings in the early hours,
  it is likely to be the milkman.'' (Winston Churchill, attrib.)