[Mailman-Users] Problem with mailing list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Dec 17 18:34:00 CET 2009

Elizabeth Cotterell wrote:

>Hi there - I have been having problems with my MAILMAN mailing list that my
>hosting service believes is a MAILMAN related problem rather than a hosting
>one. I can't post to the list, though the support staff at the hosting
>service can... My message gets to MAILMAN but disappears into the ether once
>it has been approved, and isn't showing up in the archives.
>
>The list is brillante at brillante.com.au. How do I get support for this?
>thanks, Elizabeth

So your hosting service offers Mailman lists, but is unwilling or
unable to support them. The real answer is to find a host for your
lists that is willing to support what they offer.

This is complicated by the fact that
<http://brillante.com.au/mailman/listinfo> is a cPanel Mailman. See
the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/sYA9>.

That all said, here's the situation. Mailman will silently discard a
message for one of several reasons. All discards are logged in
Mailman's vette log which the host can see, but ...

The most likely reason is content filtering:
  filter_content is Yes
  filter_action is Discard
  nothing was left after content filtering

There are various reasons for this, e.g. the message's type is
multipart/related and pass_mime_types doesn't include that type, or
the message has only text/html parts and they aren't passed.

Other possible reasons include:
  The post is from a moderated member and member_moderation_action is
discard.
  The post is from a non-member and there is a match in
discard_these_nonmembers or generic_nonmember_action is discard.
  The post matches a header_filter_rules rule with discard action.
  The incoming message for some reason contains an X-BeenThere: header
with the list's address
  The installation has set ARCHIVE_HTML_SANITIZER to discard html only
messages and the list's scrub_nondigest is Yes and this is a text/html
message.