[Mailman-Users] How to get relative paths in MM admin/moderatorlinks?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Dec 12 17:19:46 CET 2009

skip at pobox.com wrote:

>We're running MM 2.1.9 at work.  I noticed much to my chagrin today that
>all the links in the admin interface appear to be absolute URLs.

Mailman was always intended to use relative href's in the web
interface, but due to a bug , this didn't work in 2.1.x prior to
2.1.12.

>At
>work they have this annoying habit of never using the FQDN for hosts, so
>our MM machine is just "lists".  I can edit the URL to use the FQDN and
>thus get to the website via our VPN, but all the links are still
>
>    http://lists/mailman/...
>
>Is there some way to tell MM to use relative URLs or at least to not
>include the http://hostname part?

Will an http://lists.example.com/mailman/... URL work inside the LAN?
If so, you can set

DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.example.com'

in mm_cfg.py and run fix_url to update the web_page_url attributes of
all the lists so the URLs will be http://lists.example.com/mailman/...

If this won't work, and you can't upgrade to 2.1.12, you may be able to
fix the bug. See
<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/revision/1154#Mailman/Utils.py>
for the fix.