[Mailman-Users] Mailman User Question

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Dec 5 17:09:48 CET 2009

Joey Squadrilla wrote:

>When we send an email, to some accounts (specifically Hotmail, although
>there may be others) an un-subscribe link appears below the header and links
>directly back to Mailman. We would like to remove that as our database is
>not in-sync with the Mailman list. Can you please provide an answer?

<aside> It is good to know that Microsoft fixed their bug that I
reported over 9 months ago. Their unsubscribe link used to not work
because they didn't correctly interpret List-Unsubscribe: headers with
multiple URLs. </aside>

>From the above, you might deduce that the unsubscribe link is based on
the List-Unsubscribe: header in your list mail. You can remove this
and other List-* headers in your outgoing mail by setting the list's
include_rfc2369_headers attribute to No (on the list admin General
Options page).

However, while removing the headers will remove the list related
actions from MUAs that understand the headers, this will not entirely
solve your problem, as even without the link or button in hotmail,
etc. people will still be able to unsubscribe or change their address
directly via Mailman. No matter what you do, people will always mail
the list asking to be unsubscribed and some will actually figure out
how to unsubscribe themselves via Mailman.

Things you may wish to consider are periodically extracting the list's
membership <http://wiki.list.org/x/aYA9> and syncing your database
with it or setting Privacy options... -> Subscription rules ->
unsubscribe_policy to Yes so unsubscribe requires moderator approval
and then the moderator can update the database when approving
unsubscribes.