[Mailman-Users] Bounce processing

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Aug 22 03:35:34 CEST 2009

Ian Gray wrote:

>The client wants to receive bounces. However I am aware that mailman
>usually handles these. I think he wants the member to be automatically
>disabled when a bounce is received and for him to receive that.

If this is what the client wants, See below.

>Here is some info on the list:
>Mailman v.2.1.6
>I've set the same 3 email addresses (myself, client, client's wife)
>for the admin and for the moderator.

It is redundant to add the same address as both owner and moderator. It
means that most notices will be sent with that address as RCPT twice
which depending on the MTA will at best send it once and at worst send
a duplicate.

>Bounce Processing settings:
>* Should Mailman perform automatic bounce processing? YES
>* The maximum member bounce score before the member's subscription is
>disabled. 0.5
>* The number of days after which a member's bounce information is discarded 7
>* How many Your Membership Is Disabled warnings a disabled member
>should get before their address is removed from the mailing list. 0

This is OK if you want the member to be removed from the list on the
first bounce, but if you want to merely disable delivery while the
list owner decides if the bounce is 'fatal' or not, set this greater
than 0

>* The number of days between sending the Your Membership Is Disabled warnings. 7
>* Should Mailman send you, the list owner, any bounce messages that
>failed to be detected by the bounce processor? YES
>* Should Mailman notify you, the list owner, when bounces cause a
>member's subscription to be disabled? YES
>* Should Mailman notify you, the list owner, when bounces cause a
>member to be unsubscribed? YES
>

>I would have thought with the above settings that if a bounce is
>received the subscriber would be disabled and the admin would be sent
>the bounce if the email address is incorrect. However I added some
>fake email addresses and sent some test emails out and nothing was
>received.

Actually, with those settings the bouncing subscriber will be removed
and the admins will receive both a disabled and an unsubscribed
notice. The disabled notice will have a copy of the bounce.

>I assume that all 3 admins should receive the bounce?

They should. I don't know why they don't. Are you sure the fake
addresses are not actually deliverable? It is not clear to me whether
you are hosting this web site and Mailman installation or not, but
debugging this further will probably require access to the mail log
and Mailman's logs on the server.