[Mailman-Users] Bounces not resetting...

John Withers grayarea at reddagger.org
Wed Aug 19 19:34:33 CEST 2009

> The stale bounce info is not reset until another bounce arrives. Thus,
> old bounce info usually remains forever, but it does no harm. If a new
> bounce arrives, the stale info will be forgotten and the user given a
> score of 1 with the current date.

Hmmm, so when it says specifically "The number of days after which a
member's bounce information is discarded, if no new bounces have been
received in the interim." It doesn't actually mean it. It means number
of days after which a member's bounce information is discarded if we
happen to get another bounce. Hmmm. Not good.

Ah, if only it were true that it does no harm.

Following scenario: for various reasons, the bounces were set
exceptionally high on a list: 300. Now a new administrator takes over,
sees that things aren't as they should be. Says, hmmm, we should lower
that into reality and lose all these dead accounts I know we are
carrying, lowers the number to 7.

Suddenly, a lot of perfectly good users get hit with disable's.
Secondly, the behavior is baffling to the admin, because the text for
the bounce_info_stale_after is clear that these old bounces should have
been discarded.

Thanks for your knowledge here tho, that explains what I am seeing.

-John