[Mailman-Users] host vs alias (CNAME) and listinfo

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Aug 20 21:08:43 CEST 2009

Marek Kozlowski wrote:

>If you compare:
>you will see different public lists. The "www" is a CNAME od "alpha" so
>this is the same host. When creating a new list there is no hostname
>choice (AFAIK). In the administration panel I can't see this option too.
>What is the source of this difference?

See the FAQs at <http://wiki.list.org/x/mIA9> and
<http://wiki.list.org/x/lYA9> and perhaps others.

When creating a list from the web, the host name is the host in the URL
you used to access the create page.

When creating a list with bin/newlist, the default host name is
DEFAULT_URL_HOST, but there are options to specify another host. See
bin/newlist --help.