[Mailman-Users] Installing Mailman Fails

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Aug 19 17:02:49 CEST 2009

Rich Shepard wrote:

>   That's amazing! The installation instructions need to be changed to
>reflect this. What the step-by-step instructions should read is:
>
> 	mkdir /usr/local/mailman
> 	mkdir -p /usr/local/src/mailman
>
> 	untar the downloaded tarball in the latter directory
>
> 	cd /usr/local/src/mailman
>
> 	run ./configure & make & make install in that directory.
>
>   This puts all the necessary files in /usr/local/mailman.

The directory into which you unpack the tarball and in which you run
configure and make does not have to be /usr/local/src/mailman or any
specific directory. It just needs to be different from the ultimate
install directory ($prefix).

Granted, some mention of this could be made in the manual, and I'll do
that, but this is standard GNU software installation practice.