[Mailman-Users] exim4 + mailman on debian...unrouteable addresses?

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Tue Aug 18 12:39:04 CEST 2009

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 10:04:37PM -0500, shawn wrote:
> i have a problem with this set up. i've searched and searched all over
> and can't find a useful solution.
>
> i have followed these documents
>
> http://www.debian-administration.org/article/Mailman_and_Exim4
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/140
> http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html
>
> exim4, procmail and maildir are all working fine. but, when we create
> a mailman list and try to send to the list (e.g. mailman at example.com)
> i receive an error saying the user/address is unrouteable?

first of all, i'll start with a pet-hate: the travesty of split-file
configuration and Pkg-exim4.

secondly, I presume you've config'd mm_cfg.py to "MTA = None", created
the site-list, and started the Mailman runners?

> web:~# exim4 -bt mailman at example.com
> mailman at example.com is undeliverable: Unrouteable address

This is possibly where obscurating your mail domains is an hinderance.

Is example.com listed in your exim config as a mailman domain: i'd
suggest just using *one* guide, and the Exim one is probably one of
the saner approaches out there (it's what I'd use).

Are you using the "exim4-daemon-heavy", too?

Remember, the order of routers is significant, so ensure the Mailman
router's in the right place in your config file.

Is the transport set to run with the appropriate user/group for
Mailman (normally, if you've used Debian packages, this will be
'list:list')

> do i need to add a "user" alias in each /etc/exim4/virtual/...
> configuration? if i do that, then the mail delivers to what ever local
> user i alias, but it won't post to the list?

That depends on how you've set things up: if you've used Nigel's &c
guide, per exim.org, then no: it's all handled elsewhere in the
config.

It's probably worth running something like

    "exim -C /etc/exim/configure -bV"

    ("/etc/exim4/exim4.conf" may be more appropriate for you: I've been
    known to build my own exims on debian boxes.)

to check your config files are in working order: and if you've not
HUP'd the exim daemon since fiddling with the config, that too.

If you're using a monolithic exim4.conf/configure file, shove it
somewhere, and I'll have a look at it for you.

--
"The lamps are going out all over Europe; we shall not
 see them lit again in our lifetime."