[Mailman-Users] Mailman error message

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Aug 13 21:44:22 CEST 2009

Hung Phan wrote:

>Have anyone run into this message:
>Received-SPF: softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning test-bounces at mailman.k12.or.us
>  does not designate 74.125.149.50 as permitted sender) client-
>ip=74.125.149.50;
>designate 74.125.149.50 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=csd_staff-bounces at mailman.canby.k12.or.us
>We use Exim 4.69 and Mailman 2.0.11 on Fedora 10. We just recently
>added Postini archiving service; therefore, it alters the inbound as
>well as outbound gateway.
>A quick Google shows up with something about SPF and permitted sender.
>The above message seems to indicate that we need to add the 72.125.
>address into our server. Any pointer is greatly appreciated.

Your mail is being delivered to recipients through postini. The spf
record for the mailman.canby.k12.or.us domain is "v=spf1 mx ~all"
which says the MX for the domain, which also is
mailman.canby.k12.or.us, is authorized to send mail from this domain
and every other server is a softfail.

You could change this record to "v=spf1 mx ip4:74.125.149.50 ~all" ore
equivalently "v=spf1 mx a:na3sys009amx210.postini.com ~all" to
authorize this particular server to send mail on your behalf, but
postini probably has several servers so you probably would want
something like
"v=spf1 mx ip4:74.125.149.50/x ~all" to authorize the range where 'x'
is the dumber of bits to consider and would have to be provided by
postini, or perhaps postini has other mechanisms for specifying all
their servers in SPF records.

See <http://www.openspf.org/>.