[Mailman-Users] Corrupted archives ...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Aug 13 16:23:17 CEST 2009

Glenn Sieb wrote:

>Mark Sapiro said the following on 8/12/09 10:05 AM:
>
>> As Terry suggests, you could run bin/cleanarch as an additional
>> test/correction on the listname.mbox. There may be unescaped "From "
>> in message bodies that didn't confuse Mutt or that you didn't notice
>> with Mutt, and then run bin/arch --wipe to rebuild the archive. But
>> also be aware as Terry says that this may renumber messages and break
>> saved links to archived messages.
>>

>*nods* This is an instance where I may have to go through manually with
>vi and fix this email-by-email. :sigh:
>
>It will take forever, considering there are 55k or so messages in the
>archive.

If as you imply below, you've already run bin/arch --wipe in the recent
past, then you've already reneumbered the archive, so don't worry
about doing it again.

>> An alternative alternative is to just remove 2009-August/,
>> 2009-August.txt and 2009-August.txt.gz (if any) from
>> archives/private/listname/ and then run bin/arch (without --wipe) with
>> input just consisting of the Aug, 1999 portion of listname.mbox.
>>
>Ooh. Let me try that one.
>> But the real questions are how did this happen; do the 128 "messages"
>> all have Mon Aug 10 18:53:40 EDT 2009 timestamps or do they have
>> different timestamps, and what may have been done at that/those times?
>>
>It was probably one of the times I ran arch --wipe.
>
>And yes, they all have the same timestamp in the archives.
>
>Let me try re-running the arch command with the 2009-August* files
>removed....
>
>Odd. I had to manually create the 2009-August directory, but the problem
>is still there. :-/
>
>(I did bin/arch (listname))

I meant do

bin/arch (listname) /path/to/edited/mbox/containing/only/2009August.

However, if you've actually done "bin/arch --wipe (listname)" and wound
up with those strange no-subject messages in the current month, there
is either a problem with bin/arch or with the listname.mbox.

What happens if you run

 bin/cleanarch < /path/to/listname.mbox > /dev/null