[Mailman-Users] Postfix vdomains with multiple instances of mailman

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Thu Aug 13 03:46:59 CEST 2009

In trying to get things like

    pta-board at one-domain.example

and

    pta-board at second-domain.example

to be distinct lists on a site that is hosting both of those domains,
I attempted to install multiple instances of Mailman on the same
host.  That is advice that I saw somewhere on this list.

Unfortunately, it is still not working for me.  From the web end of
things it is actually working fine.  Within the virtual domains in the
Apache configuration file for each domain, I point to their respective
(and distinct) mailman installations.

But I am still having problems separating these as far as Postfix is
concerned.

For one mailman instance, I will have in

  /usr/local/mailman/vhosts/lists.wilson-pta.org/data/virtual-domains

    # STANZA START: pta-board
    # CREATED: Wed Aug 12 17:17:42 2009
    pta-board at lists.wilson-pta.org              pta-board
    pta-board-admin at lists.wilson-pta.org        pta-board-admin
    pta-board-bounces at lists.wilson-pta.org      pta-board-bounces
    pta-board-confirm at lists.wilson-pta.org      pta-board-confirm
    pta-board-join at lists.wilson-pta.org         pta-board-join

    etc.

And in

  /usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-domain

   # STANZA START: pta-board
   # CREATED: Fri Mar 30 14:20:25 2007
   pta-board at lists.shepard-families.org              pta-board
   pta-board-admin at lists.shepard-families.org        pta-board-admin
   pta-board-bounces at lists.shepard-families.org      pta-board-bounces
   pta-board-confirm at lists.shepard-families.org      pta-board-confirm
   pta-board-join at lists.shepard-families.org         pta-board-join

   etc.

The problem is that right hand side of those, something like

    pta-board-confirm

with no domain at all, should sometimes go to the alias defined in

  /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases

which says

   pta-board-bounces:     "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces
pta-board"

But at other times, it should get delivered to the alias specified in

  /usr/local/mailman/vhosts/lists.wilson-pta.org/data/aliases

which says

  pta-board-confirm:     "|/usr/local/mailman/vhosts/lists.wilson-
pta.org/mail/mailman confirm pta-board"

Anyway, in my set up, it's always going to the first one first (which
is listed earlier in postfix/main.cf)

Both these aliases files and both virtual-domains files are generated
by Mailman.  So I don't see where I have scope to fix things.  I would
like to know how people who have run multiple instances of mailman
have managed to keep lists in different namespaces.

Cheers,

-j