[Mailman-Users] Multiple instances of Mailman on FreeBSD

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Wed Aug 12 21:38:48 CEST 2009

On Aug 12, 2009, at 2:12 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:

> Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
>> I would like to set up multiple instances of Mailman on a FreeBSD 7-
>> STABLE system with using Postfix.

> Personally, I wouldn't use the [FreeBSD] ports version if you want
> to do multiple instances of Mailman.  I would install each version
> from our official source tarballs that you can download from www.list.org
>  and ftp.gnu.org.

The FreeBSD Ports version contains a couple of patches which might be
useful, though some are merely cosmetic.  It also knows how to find
the right gid and uid for working with various MTAs.  Postfix, as we
know, is finicky, and this port really does help people get it right.

> Otherwise, I would recommend that you find the port maintainer for
> Mailman, and discuss this subject with them.

Already on the cc-line

Anyway, what I have found is that if I manually edit the ports/mail/
mailman/Makefile to change

  #MM_DIR?=       mailman
  MM_DIR?=        mailman/vhosts/lists.wilson-pta.org

The install works as expected, even though when I specified -DMM_DIR
on the command line it worked for some purposes (built files contained
the correct string in them) but not for other purposes (the files
installed in the wrong place).  So I suspect that the "install" stage
must re-read the Makefile.

So I do now have this other instance installed.  One thing that I (and
others doing things this way) will have to take care of is the startup
script, /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mailman, for the queue runner.  This
installation did overwrite the original.  So I'm either going to have
to manually combine these in one startup script or set up a separate
script for each instance.  I'm sure that there will be other things to
watch out for as well.  I hope to contribute to the Wiki on this once
I've got everything running.

Let me just say that I am eagerly looking forward to Mailman 3.

Cheers,

-j