[Mailman-Users] Bounce processing not working - Update

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Wed Aug 12 20:02:42 CEST 2009

Mark, thanks for your knowledgeable and _very_ helpful post!

On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 09:41 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> >First, an egregious number of "Bounce action notifications" and "list
> >unsubscribe notifications" went out on bounces for lists on which I'm
> >listed as an owner, including the one that brought this problem to my
> >attention.  Some notifications date back a couple of months so this is
> >apparently a problem of some duration.
>

> I would have to see the /etc/init.d/mailman script to know for sure,
> but I'm guessing there is something in it that recovers old, stale
> bounce-events-ppppp.pck files. These files were left behind with the
> offending bounces when the 2.1.11 bug threw the exception that caused
> BounceRunner to die without saving the updated list with the bouncing
> member removed.

The Gentoo init script for mailman is pretty simple.  It executes, as
user 'mailman', "mailmanctl -s start", "mailmanctl stop" and "mailmanctl
restart" for the standard init script arguments of start, stop and
restart.  That's all.

> Note that this bug, addressed in my earlier reply, only occurs when
> bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings = 0.

I found a thread on the Gentoo bug reporting list which discusses
compatibility issues between Mailman 2.1.11 and Python 2.6, also
possibly 2.5 (which I'm running on these boxes).  Gentoo is distributing
mm 2.1.11 with stable as of yesterday, and 2.1.12 with unstable, but
they're apparently pushing to stabilize 2.1.12 ahead of schedule since
Python 2.6 is now stable in the distribution.  I expect this to happen

I installed Mailman 2.1.12 from Gentoo unstable and at least the problem
with non-removal of bouncing addresses seems to have gone away.  Perhaps
the qrunner processes will also be more stable.

> Duplicates can occur when a runner is killed asynchronously by a system
> crash, power failure or perhaps in your case, by your init.d script,
> but normally, a simple "mailmanctl stop|restart" should just signal
> the runners, and they shouldn't stop until finished with the current
> task.

Apparently something strange went down, since all the init.d script does
is execute mailmanctl, as noted above.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The difference between a duck is because
FMP Computer Services |    one leg is both the same"