[Mailman-Users] Running two list with same email prefix

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Aug 12 17:24:50 CEST 2009

Andrea Cappelli wrote:

>I'm running a mail server with Debian Lenny, MTA is Postfix and i will
>use postfix-to-mailma.py script to run list
>
>I would set up Mailman for running mailing list with same email prefix
>on different domains, obvious with different list names
>
>For example we have ml.domain1.com and ml.domain2.net, i would like to
>have
>
>LISTADDRESS 			LISTNAME
>tech at ml.domain1.com 		tech-ml.domain1.com
>tech at ml.domain.2.net 		tech-ml.domain2.net
>
>In this way i can have the same address on differente domains and
>Mailman (my version is 2.1.11) can distinguish between lists because the
>list name is different. The list name will be also used to access web
>interface, so we have
>
>http://ml.domain1.com/mailman/admin/tech-ml.domain1.com
>http://ml.domain2.net/mailman/admin/tech-ml.domain2.net
>
>Is possible to accomplish this task? Any idea?

Yes, it is possible to do this. What you describe is almost exactly
what cPanel does in their modified Mailman. There are other patches
around, but IMO, none are totally satisfactory. At least one user has
recently posted that he is working on his own implementation.

This feature, but not necessarily this implementation, will be in MM 3.

The main thing you need to do is arange for mail delivery
(postfix-to-mailman.py in your case) to deliver mail addressed to
list at example.com, list-bounces at example.com, etc. and also
list-bounces+xxx at example.com and list-confirm+xxx at example.com to the
appropriate list-example.com list.

Then the fun begins. If you want the 'correct' address in the List-*
headers, etc., that's a patch. Probably just to
MailList.getListAddress().

If you are willing to use the list-example.com names for the web
interface and elsewhere, that may be enough, but you will undoubtedly
discover other things that need to be 'fixed'.