[Mailman-Users] Mailman - a few questions

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Aug 12 06:55:13 CEST 2009

andale at excaliburworld.com writes:

 > All posts go directly to the moderator (not the mailman "list
 > moderator", because that puts a bunch of extraneous pre-text in the
 > email that I don't want to have to wade through on every post).  Upon
 > acceptance of the post, modified or not, I then redirect the post to
 > the actual mailing list.

This can be done by setting up aliases as follows (pseudo-syntax, your
mileage will vary):

foo-list:           moderator at example.com
foo-list-moderated: | mailman post foo-list

That requires modifying the mailman aliases in the MTA manually,
though.  And the moderator needs to know to send moderated posts to
foo-list-moderated, and will need software capable of editing and
resending without changing headers that the moderator doesn't want
changed.

 > Autoshare recognized the envelope sender and passed the post
 > through to the list immediately.

Recent mailman recognizes envelope sender for the "authorized
posters".  You might want to screen out cases where the From spoofs
the moderator using the spam filters because the test is "from OR
sender OR envelope sender IS IN authorized-senders".

 > This sends the post, in tact, with no extraneous pre-text, directly
 > to the moderator.

Ah, so the moderator already has an MUA that is capable of doing what
is needed.  That's a relief. :-)

 > The problems I'm having are as follows:
 >
 > 1. The reply-to does not seem to work for digest members.

I'll leave that to someone more familiar with the code.

 > 2. For members whose email clients use buttons based upon email
 > headers - specifically, list-id - they click on Reply to List and it
 > goes to the wrong place.  I would either like to change the list-id
 > value, or remove it entirely.  Is there a way to do that?

IMO it is preferable to reroute the workflow using aliases as
described above.  That will fix your digest problem too.

That said, the option you need is on the admin page, near the bottom.
Try disabling inclusion of the "List-Post" header.  If that doesn't
work, disable inclusion of the "RFC 2369" headers, too.

 > 3. I would like the Mailman list to recognize the envelope sender
 >    to authorize immediate distribution of the post.

Yes, this is possible.  There's a FAQ on this.  Somebody else will
give details shortly, I suppose.

A second option here is to use the Approved: header or pseudo-header.
Many MUAs can be set to add these automatically, YMMV.

 > 4. Lastly, the web archives created by Autoshare automatically
 > created clickable HTML links for all HTML URL's in posts.  The
 > Mailman archives are all unclickable plain text URL's.  Note, I want
 > the list to remain a plain text list, as it was on Autoshare, but I'd
 > still like Mailman to build HTML code to make the links active in the
 > web archive.  Is there a way to do this?

I don't think Pipermail (the default archiver bundled with Mailman)
can do it at all, but it is possible to use external archivers such as
MHonArc.  This requires substantial effort and cooperation from the
list host admins, though.  There are also third-party archiving
services.  Again, see the FAQ.

Sorry not to be of more help directly, but hope it is of some help to
know that there is a source of information....