[Mailman-Users] Duplicate Messages

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Aug 10 06:05:50 CEST 2009

David Andrews

>At 03:29 PM 8/9/2009, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>>You can see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/TIA9>, but the approach
>>there is essentially the same.
>>
>>The alternative is to use Mailman's regular_exclude_lists feature
>>(under Non-digest options) as mentioned in the above FAQ, but with
>>150+ lists (or even merely a dozen), this probably isn't viable.
>>

>Mark:
>
>The FAQ says:
>

>a better umbrella list as long as you are not concerned about digest members.
>
>Using the above example, create the list "Threesomes" with no
>members, and in Threesomes' Non-digest options -> regular_include_lists put
>
>ThreeBlindMice at mylists.com
>ThreeBears at mylists.com
>ThreeMenNaTub at mylists.com
>
>Then, a post to "Threesomes" will be sent to the regular (nondigest)
>members of the above three lists without duplication.
>
>Above you say this approach may not be viable for me.  Is this
>because of the work involved in my entering and updating the list of lists
>in regular_include_lists , or because of something else I am not
>aware of.

Actually, I retract what I said. I didn't carefully read that part of
the FAQ (which I wrote - how quickly we forget <sigh>) and I was
thinking of using regular_exclude_lists which is a way of avoiding
duplicates when messages are cross posted to multiple lists, but which
grows in complexity as the number of lists grows. But that isn't what
you want here.

>If it would work for me, I am willing to do the work -- I
>am not as technical as some, and wouldn't want to mess around with
>scripts unless I have to.  This approach would also allow me to have
>several versions of the almost-all-subscribers lists, including or
>excluding certain lists.

Yes, it would work, and the only issues are maintaining the list of
regular_include_lists in the super-list(s) and the fact that a post to
a super list won't reach anyone who is a digest subscriber on all the
sub lists of which she is a member.

So, if the digest issue is not a concern, it should work fine.