[Mailman-Users] erroneous unsubscriptions

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Aug 7 16:54:37 CEST 2009

Lakshmi wrote:

>i am the owner of a mailing list. Recently people on the list were getting
>unsubscribed mysteriously. I have even disabled the bounce process.
>A few hours ago i received 30 unsubscription notifications. This is a
>serious error.

As Ralf suggests, if you have access, look at Mailman's bounce log.

If users have had delivery disabled by bounce processing (a 'B' in the
nomail column in the admin Membership List pages), turning off bounce
processing will not prevent them from being removed after their
warnings are exhausted.

If you have access to Mailman's logs and the system mail log, look at
Mailman's bounce, smtp-failure and subscribe logs. If there are
bounces you don't think are valid, check the system mail log too. If
you don't have access to these logs, you need to be talking to the
people who administer the Mailman installation you use.