[Mailman-Users] mailman user password

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Aug 7 16:33:06 CEST 2009

I'm sorry, I missed the OP and can't at the moment check the archives...

On Aug 7, 2009, at 5:44 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> However, in this case, I was assuming that Mark simply took you at
> your word that mailmanctl lives in /bin, not in something like
> /usr/lib/mailman/bin (which is where it is on Debian; it is also
> visible at /var/lib/mailman/bin).  My point was simply that normally
> Mailman functions are invoked from CGI scripts, the MTA, or an init
> script, so having the full path is not a burden.  None of the Mailman
> servers I have access to have /bin/mailmanctl, so I believe it's
> nonstandard (at the very least I would expect it to be in /sbin, more
> likely /usr/sbin, and most likely, for the reasons mentioned, in none
> of them :-).
>
> The word "nonstandard" was not meant to be critical of your setup,
> except as far as it makes our advice less accurate.

I can't check my Gentoo or Ubuntu machines right now, but on my own
servers, I run Mailman from source anyway :).

But in any case, I do think mailmanctl should be in sbin or
equivalent, though most people will probably use an init.d script to
start and stop mailman.

It kind of sucks that there are so many other Mailman command line
scripts, which is one reason why I've always put them in a separate
Mailman specific bin directory.  With MM3 though I intend to use a
'subcommand' approach so that there's only one 'mailman' command.
Think things like 'mailman listmembers foo'.  I'll probably keep
mailmanctl separate though I haven't decided about that yet.

-Barry