[Mailman-Users] mailman user password

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Aug 7 11:44:08 CEST 2009

tanstaafl at libertytrek.org writes:

 > On 8/2/2009, Stephen J. Turnbull (stephen at xemacs.org) wrote:
 > > (There's no good reason for *any* mailman program to be on anybody's
 > > PATH, so yes, just having /bin/mailmanctl makes your installation
 > > nonstandard.)
 >
 > Hmmm... Mark didn't seem to agree... he said:

First, if you're sure you know why Mark said what he did, consider him
authoritative.  (For future reference, Barry Warsaw and Brad Knowles
should also be considered authoritative unless they disagree.  [@Brad:
I know you like to deprecate your expertise these days, but you don't
spout off unless you do know, or at least provide appropriate
caveats.] :-)  Me?  I'm definitely of the persuasion that it is better
to be in error than in doubt. :-)

However, in this case, I was assuming that Mark simply took you at
your word that mailmanctl lives in /bin, not in something like
/usr/lib/mailman/bin (which is where it is on Debian; it is also
visible at /var/lib/mailman/bin).  My point was simply that normally
Mailman functions are invoked from CGI scripts, the MTA, or an init
script, so having the full path is not a burden.  None of the Mailman
servers I have access to have /bin/mailmanctl, so I believe it's
nonstandard (at the very least I would expect it to be in /sbin, more
likely /usr/sbin, and most likely, for the reasons mentioned, in none
of them :-).

The word "nonstandard" was not meant to be critical of your setup,
except as far as it makes our advice less accurate.

 > Or are you speaking strictly in terms of the fact that I'm on a gentoo
 > system?

No.  I do run Gentoo on my workstation, but my mailman server is on
Debian, so I don't know about the Gentoo package.  (My preference is
to run the oldest OS that can run my services, and Debian stable fits
that bill quite nicely. :-)