[Mailman-Users] STUPID USERS

Charles Gregory cgregory at hwcn.org
Wed Aug 5 23:15:42 CEST 2009

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> Is there NO way to get a reminder notice to come FROM the
>> list/list-owner, even given the obvious issue with possible multiple
>> lists?
> It's a simple change. Just send one reminder per list.

How can I set that? (mm 2.1.5)

> If you look carefully at the message you received and quoted, you will
> see that the user first sent two 'help' commands to
> mailman-request at hwcn.org, and then replied to the response saying that
> it couldn't be understood. Perhaps I lack imagination, but I don't
> know what I'd put in "a list of commands to manage each list" that
> wouldn't be essentially what's in the response to a 'help' command, so
> I don't think that would help in this case.

OMG. You are RIGHT. I just presumed it wasn't in there or 'clear'
enough cuz otherwise they'd follow instructions, right? (shake head)
F'n stupid users..... Augh.

> I could change the response to a 'help' command to be From:
> 'list-owner' instead of 'list-bounces', and I think I will. I suspect
> it's being From: list-bounces is an artifact from Mailman 2.0 when it
> was From: list-admin. But, I don't see that helping in your example.
> It would only remove the 'unrecognized bounce' packaging from the
> message which would still go to you as owner.

(nod) Agreed. I just thought the 'bounce' added a layer of humor
to the situation. Though I think to be 'interesting', perhaps the
'from:' for such automated replies could be "mailmanhelp", such that
anyone stupid enough to 'just click reply' will trigger an
autoresponder keyed to that address. One that sends a doubly clear
"you have just done something stupid" notice. :)

- Charles