[Mailman-Users] Trivial prob in migrating

viz viz at lug.zhaw.ch
Sat Aug 1 12:13:27 CEST 2009

Hi Mark and all

That problem was solved, although not exactly according to
your instructions (see details below). I have another prob
at the bottom of this mail.

Ref: Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> 28.07.2009 16:07
> viz at lug.zhaw.ch wrote:
> >
> >This is roughly what I did:
> >- copied old:/usr/local/mailman/{lists|archives|data} to
> >new:/var/lib/mailman/
> >
> >- chown -R list /var/lib/mailman/{lists|archives|data}
>
> You must chgrp to Mailman's group

In this Debian fresh installation, there is user and group called
list. The files in /var/lib/mailman itself is root:list,
files/directories inside have all sorts of ownerships:
root:root, list:list, root:list, list:klog, ???

> >- /etc/init.d/mailman start
> >and I get "IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
> >'/var/lib/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck"
> >

> >checking the privileges
> >-rw-rw---- 1 root klog    3660 2009-07-27 17:18 config.pck
> >
> >its odd pending.pck and request.pck are owned by list:klog
> >and have timestamps 2008-10-21. Deleting config.pck didn't
> >help, it was recreated with the identical permissions.
> >
> >What is missing?
>

> Changing the group may be enough, but if you've lost the SETGID bit,
> you need to set that too. Mailman's bin/check_perms should help.

Changing the ownership helped. Possibly not the best
solution.

> >Second question: How do I create all the special strings
> >needed by postfix?
>
> Make sure you have
>
> MTA = 'Postfix'
>
> in mm_cfg.py and run Mailman's bin/genaliases. See
> <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html>.

Thanks. That was missing. I just bin/genaliases >>
/etc/aliases and ran newaliases.

That part is sofar OK.

The next question is the archives.

  Bug in Mailman version 2.1.9
  We're sorry, we hit a bug!
  Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem.
  Printing of traceback and other system information has

/var/lib/mailman/log/error has amoung other things
file /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py line 595
  fp = open(dbfile)
  IOError: Errorno 13 Permission denied
/var/lib/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck

Again permissions?

Viz