[Mailman-Users] Want posts from mylist to mylist to be held

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Apr 22 16:23:11 CEST 2009

Donna Dierker wrote:

>Recently, a spam message was successfully posted to mylist.  The "From"
>field showed mylist at myserver.edu (i.e., the same address that one uses
>when posting *to* mylist).  Looking in the list of subscribers, I don't
>see 'mylist' as a member.  And typically posts do not come from the
>list; rather, they are just posted *to* the list *from* an individual
>subscriber's email address.
>
>Why aren't posts *from* mylist at myserver.edu being rejected, since
>mylist at myserver.edu is a non-member from the point of view of the list?

They should be. It may be too late to find why this one was accepted,
but if you have access, you can find the post in the
archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox file and see some of the
original headers.

A post is considered to be from a list member if any of From:,

It is also possible, although not likely, that the spammer knows the
list admin or moderator password and put an "Approved: password"
header in the post, but if this was done, the evidence will be gone.

>I thought about putting From: mylist at myserver.edu in the spam filter,
>and setting the action to Hold; however, I don't want a message being
>sent to everyone on mylist every time a spam message gets held for
>moderator approval.  I do, however, want these messages held, so I can
>inspect them.  (Or at least a copy emailed to me, the list moderator,
>before the message is discarded.)

This is difficult. You could use header_filter_rules to discard the
message, but then you won't see it even with forward_auto_discards
true because that applies only to moderated and non-member auto
discards.

If you hold the message, the notice to the sender, even if to the list,
should not be accepted as it is from LISTNAME-bounces, but if you want
to be really sure, you could set respond_to_post_requests to No so
there is no held notice back to the poster.