[Mailman-Users] Sending bulk mail (400,000 users)

Phoenix Kiula phoenix.kiula at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 18:08:05 CEST 2009

Hi. I need to send annoucements to a large opt-in list.

Having never done this before and not being now confident if PHP's
mail() can manage it, I was pointed to mailman.

My questions:

(1) Is it possible for mailman to send emails where the "to:" header
has the email of a specific recipient? It's more personal than sending
to a common email address.

(2) Secondly, on a 2GB memory server with fast SATA hard disks, is
sending email to 400,000 users possible with mailman? Will it
automatically take care of delays etc between batches of sending?

(3) How can I make sure that the emails sent honor my DNZ zone records
and pick up my SPF settings, and my Domain Keys? Or is that something
the receiver's email client does as long as these are validly
published on my domain?

Thanks for any thoughts! Hope my questions are not too newbie.