[Mailman-Users] Compile on Mac Leopard - config settings?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Tue Apr 7 13:46:39 CEST 2009

Hi,

--On 7. April 2009 14:31:16 +0900 Matthias Schmidt <beta at admilon.net> wrote:

> I just subscribed after fiddeling around for a day with mailman on
> Leopard (Mac OS 10.5.6 Server on a G4 PPC dual).
>
> After looking a bit on mailman, I just decided to download the last
> version and try to install it.
> That looked actually good, but the startup daemon plist doesn't like the
> new mailman meal I just cooked.

IMO it's not a good idea to try to overwrite a vendor-supplied software
installation with a self-compiled one, unless you *really* know what you're
doing. Either you stick with the vendor version, or you install yours
separately, in a completely different path. Of course the latter means more
work (migrate the lists, create your own startup solution etc.), but your
approach is bound to break. If Apple decides to upgrade Mailman once they
release 10.5.7, major breakage could ensue.

Why don't you just stick with Apple's version?
--
     .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18.:.
                 .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.