[Mailman-Users] Check_perms reports invalid syntax?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Apr 6 15:57:12 CEST 2009

Bill Christensen wrote:

>I'm setting up a new server with Mailman.
>
>After installing I tried
>	bin/check_perms -f
>and got:
>	file "bin/check_perms", line 44
>	'''
>	   ^
>Syntax error: invalid syntax
>
>I'm running Python 2.5.1.   My existing server, running Mailman
>2.1.11/Python 2.3, has the same line and no problems with it.
>
>Any ideas?   Do I need to upgrade or patch Python, and if so which
>2.5 or better version works with Mailman?

Python 2.5.1 should be file for Mailman 2.1.11 or 2.1.12. There is
nothing about the statement
try:
    import paths
except ImportError:
    print '''Could not import paths!

This probably means that you are trying to run check_perms from the
source
directory.  You must run this from the installation directory instead.
'''
    raise

That should throw a syntax error with any Python 2.x version. Is
bin/check_perms garbled somehow. Have you tried diffing it with your
existing server version?