[Mailman-Users] Soft bounces....

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Apr 3 16:29:06 CEST 2009

Charles Gregory wrote:

>Yahoo expects me to respond promptly to 5xx bounces, disabling any
>subscriptions, otherwise it starts generating 'greylist' 4xx bounces for
>my mail. Unfortunately, if I try to lower the bounce threshold, the
>now-daily occurence of 4xx bounces guarantees that all yahoo addresses
>will end up disabled. Is there any way, short of fiddling with and
>recompiling from source, to separate 'hard' bounce handling from 'soft'
>bounce handling, or to change the 'scores' that each accumulates?
>
>Or any other trick to handle bounces properly when yahoo is tossing out
>greylist deferrals. At this point is just amounts to a nuisance with
>delayed deliveries for a lot of list mail. But it would be better to have
>our mailman properly disable when 5xx errors occur....

Why is your MTA returning 4xx status to Mailman as a bounce? Your MTA
should be retrying these and eventually delivering them.

If you're getting "bounces" like "message undeliverable after 4 hours;
will keep trying until message is 5 days old" Mailman should be
ignoring those. If it isn't, send me a complete, raw copy of the DSN,
and I'll fix it and tell you how to fix yours.