[Mailman-Users] Soft bounces....

Charles Gregory cgregory at hwcn.org
Thu Apr 2 21:54:51 CEST 2009

Hallo!

Running into a small bit of frustration.

Yahoo expects me to respond promptly to 5xx bounces, disabling any
subscriptions, otherwise it starts generating 'greylist' 4xx bounces for
my mail. Unfortunately, if I try to lower the bounce threshold, the
now-daily occurence of 4xx bounces guarantees that all yahoo addresses
will end up disabled. Is there any way, short of fiddling with and
recompiling from source, to separate 'hard' bounce handling from 'soft'
bounce handling, or to change the 'scores' that each accumulates?

Or any other trick to handle bounces properly when yahoo is tossing out
greylist deferrals. At this point is just amounts to a nuisance with
delayed deliveries for a lot of list mail. But it would be better to have
our mailman properly disable when 5xx errors occur....

- Charles, HWCN