[Mailman-Users] To-Do-list admin

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 2 01:03:14 CEST 2009

Helmut Schneider wrote:

>From: "Mark Sapiro" <mark at msapiro.net>
>> Helmut Schneider wrote:
>>>
>>> I did not touch the MTA setting, the only things I added are
>>>
>>> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST
>>> DEFAULT_URL_HOST
>>> DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN
>>> PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL
>>> add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>>> DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'
>>> SMTPHOST
>>> SMTPPORT
>>>
>>> Communication itself seems fine, i recieved a subscription reminder this
>>> morning from mailman-owner.
>>

>> What is/are the address(es) listed for the owner of the mailman list?
>
>postmaster at domain.tld
>
>> Are they deliverable? This is where the aliases mail is sent.
>> What happens if you send mail to mailman-owner at ...?
>
>A mail to mailman-owner at domain.tld is forwarded to postmaster at domain.tld and
>gets delivered.

And is that also true if it is sent via SMTPHOST:SMTPPORT (assuming
they are different from localhost)?

If so I don't know what the problem is. You can check Mailman's smtp
log and error log for messages at the time a list is cerated. Also,
check MTA logs.

If MTA = 'Manual' (the default), when a list is created via the web,
Mailman will send the 'aliases' mail to mailman-owner@(the email
domain of the list). Mailman should receive that and resend it to the
actual list owner.

If lists are created via bin/newlist, there is never an aliases email.
The aliases are just reported to stdout of the newlist command.