[Mailman-Users] massive unsubscribe

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Sep 25 02:57:17 CEST 2008

Cyndi Norwitz wrote:

>I've double checked records and it turns out that for every single
>person who was unsubscribed there was a notice to me that their email
>was bouncing (normal sorts of bouncing, nothing indicating spam).
>
>It can take months for the bounce to translate to an unsubscribe.  My
>ISP thinks it's just that they're being processed all at a time,
>which makes sense.  That they're marked for unsubscribe and sit
>around for ages but then it all happens at once.  This may be
>triggered by a new post coming out and the subscribers bouncing one
>more time, but I'm not sure of that.

If your ISP is running Mailman's cron jobs on a regular schedule - in
particular if cron/disabled is run daily - the unsubscribe for a user
will come exactly (bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings times
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval) days after the notification
to the admin that the user's delivery was disabled by bounce
processing.

If the unsubscribes come after long, seemingly random delays,
cron/disabled is not being run daily by cron. Once a user's delivery
is disabled by bounce, the subsequent user notifications and eventual
unsubscribe are controlled entirely by the
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings and
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval list settings and the
running of cron/disabled which is what sends the warnings and does the
eventual unsubscribe.