[Mailman-Users] Are there any known exploits in 2.1.5 rerequestemail address and spamming?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Sep 22 18:33:41 CEST 2008

Martin Evans wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>> If I understand correctly what you are saying, spam is being sent to
>> the list-request address with a From: header containing an innocent
>> 3rd party address. The response from Mailman, which contains the
>> original message, is sent to the innocent 3rd party.
>
>Actually that is not the case. It appears spam is sent to the request
>address and it ends up being sent to an innocent 3rd party without any
>mailman text at all. It is difficult for me to diagnose this as my mail
>server has been blacklisted by so many places I've had to disable
>mailmain completely. I saw lots of emails coming in to the request
>address and caught some of the identical emails stuck on my outgoing
>mail queue due to failure to send. What happened in between I cannot say
>right now.

Do your MTA logs or the outgoing queue entries give any clues. I'd be
interested in the timing of the messages to the -request address
relative to the outgoing messages, and the envelope sender of the
outgoing messages.

I don't know of any way that Mailman would resend a message from the
-request address without Mailman added text.

Also, see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/NQAy>.