[Mailman-Users] Old server settings applied to some lists

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Sep 19 05:07:28 CEST 2008

Anne Anderson wrote:

>So I looked at mm_cfg.py and Defaults.py and discovered these settings:
>
>In mm_cfg.py (last modified 2002-10-07):
>
>DEFAULT_HOST_NAME = 'mail.westmont.edu'
>DEFAULT_URL       = 'http://%s/mailman/' % DEFAULT_HOST_NAME
>
>This is correct.

Remove the above two lines (deprecated settings) from mm_cfg.py and add
the following four lines

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mail.westmont.edu'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'mail.westmont.edu'
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

>In Defaults.py (last modified 2006-08-04):
>
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'down.westmont.edu'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'down.westmont.edu'
>DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'
>
># DEFAULT_HOST_NAME has been replaced with DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST, however some
># sites may have the former in their mm_cfg.py files.  If so, we'll believe
># that, otherwise we'll believe DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST.  Same for DEFAULT_URL.
>
>DEFAULT_HOST_NAME = None
>DEFAULT_URL = None
>
>This is not correct... we have not had the server named
>'down.westmont.edu' for many years.  However, this hostname is
>configured into many of the lists that were created at the time.

Don't worry about that. The four lins you add to mm_cfg.py will
override the Defaults.py settings.

>When doing a grep for 'down.westmont.edu' in /var/lib/mailman/Mailman,
>it also tells me that the binary file Defaults.pyc matches.
>
>We are cautioned not to edit Defaults.py by hand, and I wouldn't know
>how to recompile it anyway. :)

You don't edit Defaults.py, you override Defaults.py with mm_cfg.py,
and Python recompiles it automatically as necessary.

>Can anyone tell me how to fix this so that all our lists will be
>configured for mail.westmont.edu?  Thanks!

Make the above changes to mm_cfg.py and restart Mailman. This still
won't fix the existing list which are wrong, but it will set
everything up properly. To fix the existing lists, run

 bin/withlist -l -a -r fix_url

or if you wan't fix_url to report what it's doing

 bin/withlist -l -a -r fix_url -- -v

For more information, go to
<http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Frequently+Asked+Questions> and
search for "fix_url.