[Mailman-Users] Admin interface for a single list misbehaving?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Sep 19 03:41:33 CEST 2008

Christopher Waltham writes:

 > I have a server with 873 lists (yes really!), but only one seems to be
 > misbehaving. Specifically, when you go to the admin web interface and
 > click on Membership Management, I get an error saying:

 > admin(5901): UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xa0
 > in position 19: ordinal not in range(128)

IIRC, in most unibyte encodings 0xA0 is NO-BREAK SPACE.  You wouldn't
be able to see that.

If you have shell access to the Mailman installation,

bin/with_list savo

for i in m.getMembers():
    # This loop should break at the problem member
    try:
        i.encode()
    except:
        print i

will print any bogus members.  (My Mailman is a little rusty, but it
should be something like that.  The comments in the with_list script
will tell you what variable holds the list config, but I'm pretty sure
it's "m".)