[Mailman-Users] Bounce handling is not user-friendly.

David Ingamells david.ingamells at mapscape.eu
Wed Sep 10 07:30:12 CEST 2008

Please act on the following 2 points below as enhancements to MailMan.

These arise from my membership of the bazaar mailing list.
I am getting "Your membership in the mailing list bazaar has been
disabled due to excessive bounces" messages regularly (every week) now.
Curiously, up to the time of the excessive bounce message I don't miss
any emails that failed to arrive from the mailing list. I have spoken to
our sysadmin and he knows nothing about any bounces from our mail
server. It is very annoying as I don't know what I can do about it with
the information available to me. Furthermore I miss messages to the
mailing list between the time that the membership is disabled until the
time I can act upon the message. It also happened while I was on holiday
and my membership almost got deleted.

1) Can you adapt mailman to support first sending a warning and allow
the member a little time (e.g. a day) to react before the heavy-handed
action of disabling the membership?

2) Can you you adapt mailman to send an example of (at least the header
of) a bounced email with the message? Without this information I don't
know how I can stop them as I don't know what, who or where the bounce
is happening.

Thanks,
David