[Mailman-Users] Harvesting of email addresses for spam fromarchives

David Beaumont david at johmar.com
Mon Sep 8 21:33:36 CEST 2008

I've just checked myself and the HTML source still seems to allow robots:
<META NAME="robots" CONTENT="index,nofollow"> on each message and <META
NAME="robots" CONTENT="noindex,follow"> on the index page.  I would want
noindex and nofollow on both pages.

Changing to private archives doesn't seem to make any difference to that,
does it only apply to new archiving?  The help is a bit vague here, does
public mean the data is prepared for public posting  (emails obscufacted)
and private mean they are not, or does private mean they are not put on the
web? i.e. which of private and public is actually the most secure?

Also search engines still seem to be able to see the data e.g. type
"neoprene site:lists.shire.net/pipermail/dbamain/ " into Google, maybe this
will go in a few days?

David