[Mailman-Users] Harvesting of email addresses for spam from archives

Bill Christensen billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Mon Sep 8 21:15:57 CEST 2008

At 6:13 PM +0100 9/8/08, David Beaumont wrote:
>  > >I notice this list's archives are not standard
>>  >mailman format!
>>

>>  I assume by 'this list' you mean mailman-users at python.org. In what way
>>  are the archives "not standard"?
>
>Thanks I mean the archives at
>http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/
>
>Ours are at http://lists.shire.net/pipermail/dbamain/
>
>On ours you will see the emails have the ' at ' obscuration.   Yours don't
>seem to show the email in any form.  How do we change to your format?
>
>David

At a quick glance it doesn't look like it would be all too terribly
difficult to change.   When I was using Mhonarc for the archives on
one of my lists (before moving to Mailman last spring), I had a
script that would change "user at domain.com" to" user at ...".  If I
recall, it simply used a regex that looked for characters followed by
an @ followed by more characters.  It then replaced everything from
the @ to the next space with "...".

It appears that the code which does the obfuscation is in
($prefix)/Mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py between lines 280 and
290 in 2.1.11. (I'm sure someone will correct me if that's wrong info)
--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>